Red beans and rice is a staple across Louisiana. Come to think of it, so are onion rings.
What happens when you combine the two? Fried deliciousness.
Want to throw a little twist into your Monday red beans dinner? Try this fun Red Beans and Rice Onion Ring recipe, inspired by a cool guacamole onion ring recipe.
RED BEANS AND RICE ONION RINGS
- Your favorite red beans and rice recipe
- 4 beaten eggs
- Panko bread crumbs
- Slice onions into 1/2 inch slices and separate into rings.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and spread out onion rings.
- Fill each onion ring with your favorite red beans and rice recipe (we used our Breaux to Geaux recipe).
- Place in the freezer until those things are solid (roughly an hour).
- In three separate bowls, place beaten eggs, flour, and panko.
- Coat frozen onion rings in flour, egg, then panko.
- Coat again in egg, and panko.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees
- Fry onion rings until they are browned on both sides.
- Let them drain on paper towel
If you’d like, sprinkle with some salt and try dipping in different sauces.
There you go! Enjoy your spicy new Monday tradition.
Breaux Mart is New Orleans’ neighborhood grocery store, locally owned and operated for more than 40 years. With five locations in Metairie, River Ridge, Chalmette, Gretna, and the Garden District in New Orleans, Breaux Mart is a small business dedicated to focused on providing shoppers with outstanding customer service and quality groceries at competitive prices.